Building a future in construction
news 
15th Mar 2016

Construction is all around us, from schools to the stadium of your favourite team and of course the home you live in. Each one has been constructed by skilled and talented construction workers.Construction provides a career like no other, with hundreds of different career routes available for young people to explore.

Go Construct has been launched by the construction industry, to provide an easy to use website where you and your children can explore all of the different types of jobs they could do in construction. Maybe they’d prefer to be outdoors and working in a hands on role, like bricklaying. Or perhaps they see themselves working with computers and becoming an architect so they can design the buildings of the future.

Go Construct has information on all these jobs and more. You can also hear from people who have already decided construction was for them and see their stories.

Michael’s story

Michael West, 28, from Llanelli, has not looked back since becoming a construction apprentice. Michael is currently doing a CIOB Higher Apprenticeship in Construction Site Supervision.

This means that, one day, he will be in charge of running a building site.  Michael studies at Coleg Sir Gar and works for the fantastic West Wales-based company Lloyd and Gravell Ltd.

Michael says: “Construction provides so many opportunities. The company I work for really supports my training, so that I can achieve my ambition of becoming a site manager.

I started in construction as a mature student at 20 years old, but I wish I had gone straight into the industry as soon as I left school. I wanted a role that was hands-on and where I could earn money and progress quickly.

I first started as an apprentice plumber, and now I’m a fully qualified Heating & Plumbing Engineer, but my long term goal is to become a Construction Site Manager.

I really enjoy my job. No two days are the same. It’s very rewarding. I would definitely recommend a career in construction.”

To find out about people like Michael and a career in construction visit https://www.goconstruct.org/